Time: 13:00-14:30, Mondays and Wednesdays Location: N1, Room 102
Shin Yoo email@example.com Office: E3-1 Room 2405
All class announcements, as well as Q&A, will take place using a dedicated Slack workspace. You are required to join if you want to continue this course. It is strongly recommended that you install either a desktop or a mobile client, to get notifications. Actual workspace link will be provided soon.
This course is concerned with a broad range of ethical issues that are closely related to, or have their origins at, computing technology and their uses. The aim of the course is not to find the answer to these problems. Rather, we will examine them from various angles together and discuss what we can do.
Another very important apsect of this course is that we will go through concrete technology that can help us while dealing with these issues. For example, instead of just saying that privacy is important, we will also look at techniques that allow you to effetively hide your data. Instead of just saying that a society should be fair, we will look at techniques that test large software systems for fairness.
- Active Class Participation: a non-trivial part of this course is in-class presentation and discussion. If you just sit quietly, you will not gain much from this course. Also, note that class participation is 30% of the whole grade.
- Strong programming skills: you are required to develop an individual course project. There will be also a number of hands-on sessions where we will program together during the class.
- Unix/Linux-savvy: you should be familiar with the usual build tools and Unix/Linux command line environments.
- Git-aware: you will be required to submit a github repository as part of your project deliverables.
- Ideally, a laptop you can bring to the classroom. If this becomes a problem, let me know.
- 30% Course Participation
- 40% Courseworks
- 30% Course Project
- Jinhan Kim, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office hour: Tuesday 14:30-17:30 @ E3-1, Room 2443.
These dates and topics are tentative.
- 08/31: Introduction & Admin
- 09/02: Perspectives on Ethics
- 09/07: Professional Computer Ethics
- 09/09: Technology and Public Discourse
- 09/14: Ethical Issues in Research
- 09/16: Paper Seminar - Double Blind, Gender Discrimination, etc (TBD)
- 09/21: Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (Guest Lecture: Dr. Juho Kim, KIXLab, School of Computing, KAIST)
- 09/23: Paper Seminar - Fairness Testing (TBD)
- 09/28: Right to be forgotten / Automation
- 09/30: No Lecture: Chuseok Holiday
- 10/05: Project Sales Pitch
- 10/07: Project Sales Pitch
- 10/12: Project Sales Pitch
- 10/19: No Lecture: Midterm Week
- 10/22: No Lecture: Midterm Week
- 10/26: AI and Ethics
- 10/28: Paper Seminar - AI Ethics (TBD)
- 11/02: Workshop - Our Hippocratic Oaths
- 11/04: Paper Seminar - Fake News Detection (TBD)
- 11/09: k-Anonymity and Secure Multiparty Computation
- 11/11: Intellectual Property, Copyright, and Provenance
- 11/16: Paper Seminar - Clone Detection and Code Provenance (TBD)
- 11/18: Homomorphic Encryption (Guest Lecture: TBD)
- 11/23: Environmental Impacts
- 11/25: No Lecture: KAIST Undergraduate Admission Interview Day
- 11/30: Paper Seminar - Energy Testing (TBD)
- 12/02: Project Presentation
- 12/07: Project Presentation
- 12/09: Project Presentation
- 12/14: No Lecture: Midterm Week
- 12/16: No Lecture: Midterm Week
To be announced.
To be announced.
Recommended Reading List
This list is not an obligation, but contains highly recommended readings if you want to widen your views around the issues we will handle throughout the course.
- The People vs. Tech: How Internet is killing democracy (and how we save it), Jamie Bartlett
- Spotify Teardown: Inside the Black Box of Streaming Music, Maria Eriksson, Rasmus Fleischer, Anna Johansson, Pelle Snickars, and Patrick Vonderau
- The Most Human Human, Brian Christian / 가장 인간적인 인간, 브라이언 크리스천
- Would you kill the fat man? The trolley problem and what your answer tells us about right and wrong, David Edmonds / 저 뚱뚱한 남자를 죽이시겠습니까? 당신이 피할 수 없는 도덕적 딜레마에 대한 질문, 데이비드 에드먼즈